Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Whine And Sympathy

Day 4 of the 5-day bidness trip.

To date, I've been enduring repeated assaults by conference speakers who think that mumbling every single line on an 8-point type, chart-laden presentation is the path to corporate enlightment. I've been burning through Bullshit Bingo sheets at the rate of roughly 18 per session.

And I somehow managed to lose my bra - in my own hotel room. It was in the drawer when I went to bed but gone when I got up, apparently stolen by the same Underwear Gnome that lives behind our washing machine and eats The Boy's favorite cartoon-character underpants.

From a practical standpoint, the loss of the bra doesn't REALLY matter since it has been scientifically proven that I have the tiniest breasts in the world (and verified by the internet community - my #1 Google Search referral is from people entering "small breast mother"). However, I have to present to a large group of people tomorrow; from a confidence-building point of view, I'd prefer to holster the poached eggs instead of going commando.

But what really hurt was my last phone call home, when I found out that The Boy and I were no longer on speaking terms. He is angry with me for going away. And MD told me that The Girl has been taking my picture to bed with her because she can't remember exactly what I look like in person.

To make myself feel better, I went for a run, and spaced out listening to a playlist of self-pitying mopey emo songs. I came back to consciousness and realized that I had run six miles. All in one direction - east of frigging nowhere. Since it was getting dark, I had to run the six miles back and was feeling progressively crappier with every stride.


So when I finally made it back to the hotel, I vomited spectacularly all over the shiny marble floor. Right in front of a group of fellow conference attendees that were gathered for a cocktail reception. Those delicious fish tacos I'd had for dinner last night? Not nearly as charming during the encore presentation. And although the chunk-blowing was probably from overexertion, my hypochondria tells me otherwise. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to die from tomato-induced salmonella before I get the chance to atone to MD and Spawn for my absence.

I hope that doesn't happen. I'd like to leave Spawn with some heartwarming moments of actual togetherness, rather the fading impression of my voice on the other end of a cell phone. Although MD should make out pretty well, thanks to a hefty payout from my life insurance. I'm sure he'll find himself a new gold-digging slut on Match.com in no time.

Spawn WILL like me again someday. Won't they?

Digg this

47 comments:

Tess said...

FRIGGIN AWESOME! You ran until you PUKED, dude. So hardcore.

Sorry you are missing the kidlets. It's almost over.

Mrs. G. said...

You lost your bra? There has to be more to this story!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...lost bra + puking in hotel lobby? are you sure you're not really on spring break?

sorry about the kiddos, they will love you again. Probably MORE, you know absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Good luck with the rest of the trip.

Kevin McKeever said...

BS Bingo is the only thing I miss about corporate meetings. Value-added was always my saving grace.

stalkermom said...

After puking, hopefully you just stood up, looked around and said "Yeah, 12 miles man"! I'm sure everyone would have been impressed! For goodness sakes, they were just standing around eating appetizers and drinking!

Anonymous said...

While this was funny to read, I can imagine it was NOT funny at all at the time! Glad you've only got one day left!

Greg said...

Not to revel in your misery, but this is classic. Bravo!

...and might I suggest checking the boys trash can for missing underpants. My mother had the same problem, which was quickly resolved when she realized her (still) beloved young one had not yet deciphered the hamper from the garbage can.

for a different kind of girl said...

I WISH my heirs would miss me when I am gone. Instead I get a lot of "Why are you still here?" and "When are you leaving?"

Toss in a "Do you work tonight? I think you should work tonight," and it's no wonder I start thinking the random retail stalker is interested in me as a person.

Audubon Ron said...

You hurled beets in the lobby of a hotel? Yuke.

Alice said...

I'm not huge, but there are days I wished I had poached eggs. For sure.

neutron said...

I thought I had an Underwear Gnome once but later found out that my room-mate was just a dumbass.

Anyway, anyone who can run 12 miles probably has all the confidence they need, commando or not.

Jen W said...

Selfishly, I'm glad to know there is another working/traveling mom out there whose kids make her pay for being gone. Mine are the same. And I also (selfishly of course) enjoy the fact that you are a hypochondriac. I'm convinced that if I don't end up dying in a plane crash, it will be while I'm traveling, alone in my hotel room from a stroke (which in reality ends up just being a headache but in my hypochondriac state, I've convinced myself that it is a stroke!)

Erin said...

Oh OF COURSE they will like you again. They MISS you which obviously means they LOVE you.

Nice job running till you puke. That certainly isn't as refreshing in real life as it is metaphorically speaking, you know?

MereCat said...

Gawd. I remember those days so well. KInd of miss them a little. Corp america is so campy it's almost comforting.

CT Mom said...

I didn't puke on my last trip. I did get a bad cold and tried to walk through a clear glass door. Co-workers got a good laugh out of that!

Did I mention the door was closed?

I also sat in the front row and was coughing so hard during one of the keynotes that the speaker stepped down and handed me a cough drop without missing a beat. I think they get it on video.

Tracee Sioux, Sioux Ink: Soul Purpose Publishing said...

You use the drawers? It has never occurred to me to take my clothes out of the suitcase to put in a drawer.

CT Mom said...

Oh, and yes, the spawn miss you and will forgive you. Bribery often helps.

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

The Spawn will forgive you. They'll probably hold out for a bribe though.

Unknown said...

Oh, Manager Mom, you're my hero. For real!

The Bullshit Bingo sheets...the travel...the running and puking...

This former career chick is kinda jealous.

taawd said...

you know there are only 24 hours in the day... running, pukin', presenting, worrying about the kids, bullshit bingo. how do you do it?

my only public puking episode was in the lunch line at elementary school. trix don't really keep their colors on the return trip. strangely, foods sales weren't that hot that afternoon.

enjoy the rest of your trip. your kids will remember you.

Stamford Talk said...

Manager Mom, you are a champ. We can't wait to have you back in Stamford! Feel better, chill out, and see you soon!

Jon said...

You don't just LOSE a bra, Manager Mom. You were just talking about random sex & now you're losing bras. Rock on, Manager Mom!

SciFi Dad said...

Your kids are probably older than my daughter was when I had to deal with business travel (as a rule I avoid it like the plague), but maybe it'll give you something of use: http://talesfromthedadside.blogspot.com/2007/01/tts-what-we-learned-when-i-left-town.html

And if that is your worst search hit... you should check out today's post. That's all I'm sayin'.

Amy said...

Oh, that is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard. Not to mention the Powerpoint. That was what probably made you sick, honey, not the tomatoes.

Feel better and get home soon.

Noelle said...

When I was 8, my mom left me in the car while she went to pick up Tupperware from a friend's house. I'm still pissed about that. But your kids, they'll be fine.

I don't think I could even jog 6 miles without throwing up, let alone get home again.

Anti-Supermom said...

I totally don't believe that underwear gnome story, we need to know what really happen to those egg holdin' confidence boosters.

Plus, the gnome live at my house, not yours.

Ann said...

Girl, NEVER run before Powerpoint - it's an emetic. Oh my - I hope you do feel better. I used to travel for Corp. America all the time - and don't miss it one iota - in fact, when I wrote Powerpoint above, I think I threw up in my mouth just a little. Sorry 'bout that.

Tricia said...

Bring home really good guilt gifts and the Spawn will be fine, even happy to see you.

~Swankymama said...

I know that BS bingo. Except mine is telecom bs bingo.

How did you LOSE your bra?? LOL

262mom said...

At least your attire and sweat supported your theory that you weren't boozing it up in the hotel bar! Good for you for skipping out on the "team building" and "synergy" of the cocktail binge.

Anonymous said...

I so wish I would have known about bullshit bingo before my sales meeting..that is awesome!

Anonymous said...

The running was awesome. I think I would have hailed a taxi myself.

Ugh, kids can be really MEAN to their parents when they're angry. I am sure that things can be patched up in no time. May I suggest tiny gifts of mercy if you are so inclined.

Anonymous said...

My husband is travelling - and he better be puking over me RIGHT NOW.

MsPicketToYou said...

at least you didn't poop your pants. 'cause that happens. i've heard.

and yo! YOU CAN DO THIS.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

The running thing impresses the hell out of me.

The kids? Probably angling for better presents.

The Girl Next Door said...

YOU ROCK - I'm sure you didn't think so as you were puking, but that's just so awesome. And yeah the kids will love you when you get home. Mine used to whine whine whine then I'd get home and they'd forget they ever missed me - totally deny it.

Mimi said...

What a story! Lost bra, lost tacos, lost esteem from the children. Munchkin always refuses to talk to me on the phone when I call from business trips, and it BREAKS MY HEART. But then, when I come back with a $5 toy, I'm a hero for 2 weeks.

Eve Grey said...

oh sweetheart, you are a trooper!
12 miles?!!! Cack, are you nuts? I almost puked AND crapped my pants after a 1 hour boxercise class in 100 degree weather with a bunch of other sweaty chicks last night. Being away is fun at first but then the crazy missing the kids sets in. *hugs*

Marketing Mama said...

Oh no - that is so crazy - I'm sorry to hear about all of those things. How horrible. I hope you are feeling better and that you don't have salmonella!

Anonymous said...

it's been a very long time since i ran until i puked. that's pretty damned impressive if you ask me.

but then again, you didn't ask me. you didn't even ask me to read this, let alone make a comment about it. so what the hell am i doing? and why do i have such an issue with capital letters, and their proper uses? nobody knows.

oh, and thanks for stopping by.

Maggie, Dammit said...

Oh, honey. Oh my.

[hands fluttering at throat]

Oh, honey.

See? This is why I don't run very far. At all.

Unknown said...

I have been victim to these horrible PowerPoint presentations in my last job. Thank goodness I have avoided them in my current gig. Those alone were pretty good to induce vomiting.

Speaking of which, I'm sorry you had a bout with illness from the running. It may have been the fish tacos or the running but if you ask me, it was the Power Point.

ConverseMomma said...

Two words for ya, GIFT. SHOP. Seriously sorry about that fish taco revist on the marble floor, yikes. But 12 miles makes for one slammin ass.

Anonymous said...

Manager Mom - I feel for you - as we share space at that corporate place - I really can imagine all the intimate details. The only good to come of this, is that it provides excellent blogging fodder. So this business trip is over...only to be relived again in a quick 4 weeks!

Minnesota Matron said...

Oh honey -- I've not worked, worked a bit, and worked full time. The real hard core truth? I wish I had worked more and sacrificed myself less. It's totally possible to be a kick-ass great parent and feed yourself intellectually.

Julie said...

I want to puke just thinking about running 12 miles. You ROCK! Whatever happened with the bra? Did you present with the girls just out there?

Candi said...

Wow, I am impressed. About the running. NOT about eating fish tacos. Yuk. LOL!