Friday, June 27, 2008

When Worlds Collide

Day three of Spawn being grounded from the Wii.

I got home late from work yesterday, and was in the middle of microwaving a nutritious family dinner when the following exchange took place:

The Boy: "Mommy, I'm bored. What can I do?"

Manager Mom: "Go and play with your sister."

TB: "But she has girl toys."

MM: "I don't care. If you don't play nicely together, you won't be allowed to play the Wii for ONE WHOLE MORE WEEK."

And, scene. Off goes The Boy as instructed.

After Spawn went to bed I was straightening up the playroom , because the cleaning lady was coming the next day, and, you know, I don't want her to think that we're SLOBS or anything.

When I got to the dollhouse, I saw the curiously heartwarming aftermath of their joint playtime:




The only scene that I found to be slightly alarming:


Did I mention that The Boy is terrified of dogs? Perhaps it's time for some therapy.

Digg this

83 comments:

Kevin McKeever said...

Who says there's a battle of the sexes? I thought Darth was doing a little more than nursing, though ...

Alice said...

I would blow-up the pic of Boba Fett having tea with Polly. That's so awesome!

Sizzle said...

Those pictures are pretty hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking the boy has gotten wise and is playing on your fears. It's all a conspiracy to get you to cave on the Wii issue. He figures if the set ups he left for you scare you enough, you haul him off right to the television and dump the Wii in his lap!

The trick is to start thinking like them! Ha!

CT Mom said...

The Boy and The Girl have just shown the world that yes, we can all get along ... makes you want to hold up your lighter and sing "Give Peace a Chance."

The dog on Polly action shows survival of the fittest. Hmm, maybe The Boy's fears are justified ....

for a different kind of girl said...

Is that what they call "nursing"? It looked like Darth was stroking Polly's head, telling her what he was about to do to her to "shhh...everything's going to be all right. Now, in a minute, you're going to see my red light saber..."

I once came downstairs after telling the boys to find something nice to do together or prepare to die and found all their stuffed animals in very, very realistic and compromising positions.

Kids are awesome.

Eve Grey said...

Look at Lassie, so complicit! Retirement has really made her so apathetic. It breaks my heart a little.

Sailor said...

Love the photos, these are awesome. Be careful with Darth though, he's been known to be fickle.

~Swankymama said...

I like Darth's new career choice!! :o) Although I think he has a secret plan.

The Cheap Chick said...

I loathe those little Polly things so much, I'm kinda glad she was being attacked.

It's nice to see Boba Fett getting out and mingling with others, too.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

The least Lassie could have done was go look for Timmy!

Renee said...

That is awesome. At least Mr. Incredible didn't wreak too much havoc. Though I agree with sailor, Darth always has some sort of secret agenda.

The Girl Next Door said...

This mish-mosh of characters brings to mind the (awful) movie Enchanted, the Disney mish-mosh. Love how they merged it all - and yeah, I think he's trying to push your buttons. Don't fall for it! Don't!

Jen said...

This is so sweet. Isn't nice to find out that they do really love each other.
Spawn, this is what my husband loving calls our children too. :)
Thanks for stopping by.

Adam Bernard said...

How dare they domesticate Boba Fett!!!

John D. said...

LOL. You din't STAGE any of those scenes for hilarious captions, did you Manager Mom? : )

Manager Mom said...

John: I wish that I HAD, especially the dog one. Nope, I'm apparently just doing THAT great of a job of messing up my children.

Jen W said...

I love the fact that you clean before your cleaning lady comes. I do the same thing. I don't know why I feel compelled to do it.

delmer said...

>>"But she has girl toys."<<

Oh ... how I miss seeing girl toys on a regular basis.

Minnesota Matron said...

Ah, the joys of banned electronics! Must read back to see how long the entire family will be tortured. I hate banning electronics because it's so painful for ME. Cleaning ladies are work, yes, indeed!!!

MarĂ­a said...

Aww that's adorable! LOL

April said...

That is hilarious! I recently found cross dressing GI Joes in my daughter's room. But you know, don't ask, don't tell.

Greg said...

I'm sure he'll be fine. I remember when I was little I had two obsessions. Batman and the movie The Bodyguard (probably best if you don't ask about that one...). So naturally my favorite Batman toy played the part of Kevin Costner, while She-Ra (Princess of Power from He-Man) played the part of Ms. Houston (no more "Mrs"...take that Bobby Brown). The Batmobile made a great limo. I could entertain myself for hours as I recreatd the events of the movie with my action figures, soundtrack playing in the background.

I'm sure that the boy just has a big imagination. I did...and I turned out pretty normal!!! :)

KiKi said...

Inappropriate: Dr. Darth should've had a nursing assistant with him when examining his patient. Totally creeped me out.

JCK said...

OMG, those are amazingly funny! Excellent camera work!

Tiffany said...

I love it! That is just boys and girls...period. They look like they having a nice chat.

calicobebop said...

That's adorable. My brother would never have allowed himself to enjoy a spot of tea with his sister. The big dork.

David said...

thank you much for your warm comment on my post today. It is important to me, especially coming from you. One who makes me smile on a constant basis after reading your posts.
Thanks again,

David

Amy said...

Love the pic. Your kids sound like mine and I always clean for the cleaning people.

Trooper Thorn said...

I don't know why people are so surprised. Even intergalactic bounty hunters need to kick back once in a while.

josetteplank.com said...

That Polly is a hussy when it comes to intergalactic dudes.

But nice tea service.

And funny photo, lol.

MsPicketToYou said...

this is awesome on so many levels of awesome.

but I do need to tell you that when I was in ninth grade, my mom and the other moms in my class made up a song for the mother-daughter dinner called "Cleaning for the Cleaning Lady." I mention this to let you know that apparently this habit is generations old.

At least it makes ME feel better.

Ali said...

I think I've found my new favorite blog.

CaraBee said...

Those are HILARIOUS! I always knew that Boba Fett had a soft side to him.

Anonymous said...

Ha!! I guess Boba Fett just loves his cup of Earl Gray.

Cynthia said...

I love that Boba Fett got a break, and some tea:)

I too clean before the cleaning woman comes...is there a support group for this?

Anonymous said...

I wonder what Boba and Polly did after the tea, if you, uh, know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

"Your destiny lies with me, young Pocket!" You think Darth picked up those "Nursing" supplies at the Kum & Go?

dianna said...

Darth to Polly:

"Polly, I am not your FATHER...
But I could be your SUGAR DADDY;)"



"Action" figures...obviously.

Jo said...

Polly: Now Boba, about the anger you were describing, perhaps you could tell me more about your father?

And Anne, I'd be checking Mr Incredible's room for drug paraphenalia. Cause friends don't let friends pass out from overdose. Just sayin...

Anonymous said...

My absolute favorite is Lassie as a silent co-conspirator. Genius!

Nowheymama said...

Since my daughter likes both Star Wars and princesses, this is what her room looks like most of the time. Well, minus the dog mauling scene.

Author said...

I don't have a cleaning lady, but I know that when I get one, I will clean for her.

Loved the pics. I don't know why, but it's the Incrediables one that creeps me out, and Darth definitely has an alterior motive.

Joe said...

That's too cute. I guess everyone knows him as a bounty hunter, but it's good to see the human side of Boba Fett and learn what he does to relax.

I must say, though, that Polly seems a bit tense.

Misty said...

Oh this is hilarious! But so cute, too. And look, they did play nicely together. Maybe I should get a Wii to force my kids to get along? Do you recomend the Wii as a parenting tool? :)

Ann said...

Totally scarily kinky in my mind, but probably not theirs. Lassie clearly needs some remedial training!

JoeinVegas said...

Well, Boba probably needed a little sit down and a cuppa to calm his nerves too.

JoeinVegas said...

Well, Boba probably needed a little sit down and a cuppa to calm his nerves too.

Shannon said...

I affectionately refer to my rebellion atop my head as the 'jew-fro' a la Jon Stewart ~ you know you have reached a new level when you start to embrace it and use produt to keep it going

JackeeG4glamorous said...

Seems fun was had by all! Those scenes were hilarious! The pack of angry dogs, scared even me! Damn Lassie, ruined my image of her (or him, depending upon the episode)

San Diego Momma said...

I just can't get shocked by that.

I'm desensitized by all barbie-dinosaur crossbreeding happening in my household.

Deb
sandiegomomma.com

Anonymous said...

LOL that's awesome. Sometimes I think my daughter might be a tad confused. She loves her girly pursuits, but she also wants to play with her brother, and she can do Transformers or swordfighting without any transitional difficulty.

Jennifer said...

How nice of Polly to have Boba over for a spot of tea! That's classic!

P.S. I like your afro!

Anonymous said...

Awesome that your son plays with the original 1970's Star Wars toys and not the new ones.

Manager Mom said...

OK - Brian, whoever you are... you should know that those are MY 70's star wars action figures. My mom saved them for THIRTY YEARS to give to my kid.

This is where I am a complete failure as a mom, because I throw away EVERYTHING.

Hey It's Di said...

That Polly has always been a bit of a Ho.

I remember scenes similar to this with my Barbies & my brother's Star Wars figures back in the day. I think it kind of freaked my parents:)

Maternal Mirth said...

Doncha know ... Boba Fett loves Earl Grey and crumpets!

Anonymous said...

OMG that is hilarious...I have to show that pic to my boys.

Laski said...

That is CLASSIC. And a step into the mind of your children. Nice. Boys are cool. Man, the power of the Wii . . .

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Somewhere out there, there is a therapist's couch waiting :)

BusyDad said...

That is ALL the evidence I need to get me a Boba Fett helmet. You CAN score major chickage with it!

Anonymous said...

*laugh* so who says the boyish toys can never play with girlish ones?!

StarvingWriteNow said...

I always thought Boba had a thing for Polly... now we have evidence!

And thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm having fun catching up with yours!

Anonymous said...

Boba and Polly REALLY have some huge ole teacups..
Darth Vader is the one who's scaring me...Nursing?? Are you sure?

Don Mills Diva said...

Lassie just standing there watching the mauling seriously creeps me out. Seriously.

SciFi Dad said...

I don't know what it says about me that all I could think about after this post was, "Dude, where did they get a classic Boba Fett action figure? And why are they letting a kid play with it?"

TheHMC said...

Those pictures had me cracking up.. your commentaries put me over the edge. Too funny. I must show this to the spousal unit.

Jen said...

I declare that to be both adorable and awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha, that's just awesome on so many levels. Awesome. :)

Ashley said...

lol I agree....awesome on SOOO many levels. I think I'd glue all the toys in those positions and put it up for display or something. Seriously. That rocks.

-Ashley
www.bosssanders.com (I have a blogger acct, but this other is my main blog)

Matt Pfingsten said...

A lot of good comments, but everyone seems to be skirting the real issue here. Why has Boba Fett taken the ottoman for himself, and not offered it to Polly? Clearly she has had a long day and her back hurts...you can tell by her body language.

I used to love Boba Fett. Now I think he may just be a jerk.

PS - I've been lurking for a while here. Sorry. Huckdoll outed me this morning.

Anonymous said...

If you truly hate your curls, dismiss this advice.

Otherwise, the path to curly enlightenment follows:

naturallycurly.com
devachansalon.com
ouidad.com
salonwayne.com (curly hair specialists trained in devachan's approach)
salonshahin.com (stylists, colorists with curls aplenty)

Embrace the curl! I bet you'd look great!

Tara R. said...

Ahh... proof that we all can just get along. Too funny!

Hopping over from Huck's Hood... funny stuff over here. I'll be back.

Kristin said...

Boba Fett best watch his virtue... that Polly Pocket is a bit of a 'ho... I bet she's laced the tea...

painted maypole said...

ha ha ha ha ha! I love it!

Lceel said...

You are a hero. Obviously, your kids know that the threats are real, unlike some parents who couldn't follow through with a golf swing. Well done you.

Anonymous said...

My mum would have found Spiderman doing the nasty with Barbie.

Anonymous said...

Excellently funny!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, your commentators are almost as funny as the post itself.

I'm pretty sure NukeDad rocked it though :P

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Funny funny pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

I like it whenever people get together and share opinions.
Great website, continue the good work!
Look into my webpage ... piano lessons

Anonymous said...

Hello, I log on to your blog daily. Your story-telling style is awesome, keep doing what you're doing!
Feel free to visit my page Work at home

Anonymous said...

Hi my family member! I want to say that this post
is awesome, nice written and come with approximately all vital
infos. I would like to look more posts like this .
My web site ; acne treatments