Yesterday, I could have lost my son.
There was no showy drama: no squealing tires or screeching brakes; no speedy trips to the emergency room or sober-looking doctors with grim pronouncements; no scary strangers lurking at the playground.
It was just dinner.
Manager Dad was out, squeezing in a quick nine holes before the sun set. I was tired from unpacking and hadn’t had a chance to go to the store, so I excavated a meal from whatever was in the freezer and pantry: canned corn, a banana, some nuggets (chicken for The Girl, spinach for The Boy).
He took one look at his plate and threw a massive fit. I don’t know if it was exhaustion or leftover sadness from the end of our trip, but when I tried to talk to him about why he was upset, it made things worse. He finally shouted that the only way that he was going to eat anything would be if he ate alone (“I don’t want anybody LOOKING AT ME, MOMMY!”)
So The Girl and I ate dinner together, our attempts at conversation punctuated by fist-thumps and wails from the living room.
The Girl finished and went off to the playroom. The Boy finally started to calm down, and I tried to coax him to the dinner table with the promise of buttered toast if he would eat JUST ONE [DAMN] SPINACH NUGGET. (Which, by the way, were the exact same ones that he claimed were his favorites EVER, just one week ago.)
He harrumphed to his chair. And sulked. And squirmed. For the next twenty minutes, he stared at that nugget, poking and squishing and picking it up and dropping it over and over, until it was almost as cold as it had been when I first took it out of the freezer.
I got frustrated. I told him that I was tired of throwing away perfectly good food every day, and that I didn’t want to be at the table with him when he was using bad manners, and I got up and went into the kitchen. I watched him through the serving window; he had the nugget on a fork, and I thought, hey, that might have done the trick, he might finally eat the stupid thing.
I turned to the sink to start rinsing dishes when I heard him stomp into the kitchen; I turned around, ready to deliver some sort of exasperated remark when I noticed that his face was red and his eyes were wide and all that I could see was fear.
I ran to him and he doubled over. I might have said something like OHMYGODOHMYGODAREYOUOK? He could not answer. And I know now that sometimes the most frightening sound of all is the sound of nothing: no choking, no coughing, no breathing.
I don’t remember exactly how I managed to get myself to react. I got behind him and put a fist in my other hand, and put my arms around his waist and jerked hard and sharp up into his stomach. He threw up, a bright green asterisk on the wood floor. And then, finally, he sucked in a long, painful, crackling breath.
I pulled him close and he shoved his face into my neck. I felt the sharpness of his shoulder blades; his body was shaking, his heart thumping. He coughed and coughed, and with his head still buried in my hair, forlornly raised his arms over his head, just like his teachers taught him to do at school when he drinks too fast and it goes down the wrong pipe. We stood there in the kitchen, covered in breaded vomit, squeezing each other as if we were the only two people left in the world.
Yesterday, something as ordinary as one spinach nugget almost changed my life forever.
I think I might eventually forgive myself. I hope I might eventually forget.
Monday, July 28, 2008
What Could Have Been
Streams of Consciousness:
I don't know how to label this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

86 comments:
I suspect you will (and should) forgive. I think you won't forget.
I'm glad you are both ok.
First, your son is a stunningly handsome little boy. I can (but not really, but I mean...yeah...) imagine the fear that raced through you in that brief moment. This serves as a reminder that I need to brush up on this technique, and then hope neither of us, or anyone who comes here, have to use it again or ever.
Wow. No other words can describe the moment.
Oh my gosh! I'm *so* glad that it turned out as it did. Your writing had me all drawn in and practically in a panic thinking that I'm not even sure I'd know what to do. Whew!
Oh wow, this has me in tears. Choking is the most horrifying thing. This is probably not the most appropriate thing to say but it's just so weird reading this after what happened recently here. A boy I taught since he was a toddler (he is now 7) choked on a chicken nugget a few weeks ago and is on life support. I don't know the point of this except perhaps that after reading this, I will probably not serve nuggets. Hugs to you and your son.
These things do happen and are scary as hell, but you saved your son's life! I'm so glad he's okay.
This post scared the absolute shit out of me as it could have easily happened at my house. I'm so sorry it happened to both of you and that you have to keep visualizing it over and over in your mind (I know that's what I would do, to the point of near-insanity).
Lots of postive vibes coming to your house from mine - that is scary.
I was holding my breath the entire time I read your post. Thank God it had a good ending. Thank God you saw him and were able to respond. Thank God you knew what to do. Thank God.
...and also, who the heck invented spinach nuggets?
MM - I can't imagine how scary that must have been. I have heard of so many choking instances lately. We've had a few false alarms in my house of late, and my 5 year old is the first to jump up and say to the person choking, "Can you talk?"
Before I read the end I was thinking...spinach nuggets? I may have had a tantrum too...but that comment doesn't quite seem to be in order any longer.
Thank goodness for happy endings.
oh, my isn't your kid from the family of paul perfect and patty perfect...i can't imagine him pulling a fit
Thank goodness you knew what to do. And so glad he is o.k.
I am glad to hear that I am not the only mom with kids that throw major fits.
Just found your blog.
Very cool.
Sorry, just read the entire story.
Wow.
I am glad you are both okay.
Oh holy hell that must have been terrible! I feel for you for sure. Glad everything ended up ok.
You will never forget that feeling.
It was Grown-up Girl with a tortilla chip at Sea World 18 years ago and I can remember the terror as though it happened minutes ago.
Here's to being educated on how to handle the situation.
You're heart should stop racing in about 2 weeks.
Oh this has happened to me too, it's so frightening...glad all is well.
Oh good lord. I am sorry. The forgiveness will come eventually...but it may take a while.
He's safe...and that's all that matters.
But don't be surprised if someday the Spawn try the "spinach can kill" routine :)
Wow. I'm so glad the story turned out well. You reacted with every good instinct. If you can't forget just yet, at least hold on to that and forgive yourself.
(My husband had to perform the Heimlich maneuver on my son once, when he choked on a piece of hot dog. You're most definitely not alone.)
I'm guessing spinach nuggets are never going to be his favorite again. Forgive yourself now because guilt won't do anyone good but don't forget. You saved him. That's a powerful thing.
Manny Mom, I love you! You are a great mom, for real. And as always, I am struck by what a wonderful writer you are.
Alright. You made me cry. I'm relieved that that turned out like it did. Give that boy a hug and never let go!
On our trip, BoyChild did the same thing on a piece of bread at a restaurant. The fear that rips through you is indescribable. If I ever lose a kid, I will be non-functional. Now I'll go hug both of mine.
The Boy is going to be a Stone Fox when he's older. Look out, ladies...
...and I'm sure you'll forget next time he throws up something bright green that isn't nugget/choking related.
Wow, horrifying.
There is nothing to forgive yourself for - you kept your head and did what you needed to do and it saved your son's life!
And yes your son is adorable.
Choking is such a scary experience. I'm tempted to tell my teens to not eat grapes or hot dogs whenever I leave the house!
So thankful all turned out fine for you!
I will second the notion that you have nothing to seek forgiveness for. It was an accident, and you handled it perfectly. You should feel pride, not shame.
I am glad everyone is OK.
Thanks for letting me know it would all be okay in the first few lines. Scary girl! You won't forget but the memory will fade and surely you will here him relate tales of his super hero mom sometime soon...I have a friend who's son remembers her as a t-rex for the roar she made when someone attempted to car-jack them and that was 8+ years ago...Glad all is okay
I have to echo all the other commenters. I am glad everyone is ok.
Wow. When my daughter was about five, she was playing with the little barbie pots and pans. She tried to pry the lid off one of the pots, and it flew into the back of her throat. I just happened to be walking by (jesus) and saw her face (now you know the look) and by some miracle I grabbed her by the feet, and shook her hard upside down, and the lid FLEW OUT! Man, I'm shakin' again just thinking about it.
Just a big shout out to those guardian angels- that's all I gotta say........
Oh holy shit. This is so scary. I nearly choked as a kid as well and I still remember it vividly.
Go go gadget mother's instinct. Way to go lady. So glad everyone's okay. Well, except for the years it shaved off of YOUR life.
I think you did great. That had to have been so so scary, though. I could feel the barf covered hug though, so tight, so thankful, so scared.
OH my, how scary. I am glad that everything turned out ok. And you must forgive yourself. You just wanted him to eat, blame it on being overtired from vacation.
Bubba did that once, on a Halloween Lifesaver candy (ironic, isn't it?). There is no more frightening feeling in the world. I'm so glad everybody is okay. But don't beat yourself up about it -- you were just trying to get him to eat.
I'm sitting here crying because I know how that feels. My heart goes out to you that you had to feel that panic and terror.
I'm so thankful that your beautiful son is ok. Please don't be hard on yourself - it can happen to ANY of us at any time.
You are a good Mommy. :)
The IMPORTANT thing is that you reacted properly. What got you there is not important. What you did is. There is nothing to forgive yourself for. There is plenty to remember.
kids and accidents go hand in hand and things happen fast. But you reacted perfectly and IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT ... he has to eat, he wanted to be alone, etc. ... it's scary, but he's ok and you're ok.
You're doing great. It's OK to let it go.
I am so glad your son is all right.
He is so beautiful!
OMG! how scary! great quick thinking though MM!
OMG That is terrible. I'm glad he's OK now. That makes me think of when my son could have drowned. It was the day after Hurricane Katrina and we were hanging our clothes on a line to dry, we had no electricity for 2 weeks, and my son who was 2 at the time, was playing with the dog. Well I turned around and he was gone and I went running to find him and he had fallen in the pond. I raced over and pulled him out but I still see his little head bobbing in the water in my dreams. I cried and cried because what if I had been a minute too late? I'm tearing up writing this. In the end he was knocked in by the dog when she went swimming. That was the most horrible experience of my life. And I still haven't forgiven myself for what happened. I try to forget about it but it's still in the back of my mind.
Urgh. I have had this happen. My now 7 year old was about 8 months. Gave her some crackers in her stroller so I could shop in peace. I look over and she is blue. I ripped her outta that stroller so fast and banged on her little back while holding her upside down. She spit it all over the Gap pants while my friend looked at me with wide eyes and her chin on the floor. Then, when it was over, I burst into tears. Something inside me just turned "on" and I didn't even realize what I was doing until it was done.
Glad to hear he is ok. Guess you can add spinach nuggets to "the list".
Oh, thank heavens you had the quick wit to save him! I'm so glad you're both ok!
i choked on a carrot when I was about 8. i remember it as if weren't five million years ago. but what i remember is not so much the choking but thinking that my dad was a completely amazing superhero type guy for saving me. i'm pretty sure The Boy will think the same about his mom.
Oh my gosh this is so SO sad! I am SO glad things are alright but I can't imagine how terrifying that was for both of you.
oh my. i am so so so glad and happy. as i am sure you all are in your house right now.
Now I feel guilty for dragging Manager Dad's butt to the 19th hole for a few after the game. Glad The Boy is OK. Hope you've recovered.
You sound kinda heroic to me. I think you should label it under "thankful."
I am so glad everyone is OK. How terrifying. You should forgive yourself. It could have happened at anytime anywhere.
Oh my goodness that is so scary. I'm glad you are both okay, and I hope this doesn't have terrible implications for the future, beyond you hugging him a little tighter all the time.
You have to forgive yourself because it wasn't your fault.
I don't even know what else to say...
Wow...just, well...wow. How scary. I'm glad you are both okay.
The possibility of something like that completely terrifies me, especially under the circumstances. I know you're thinking that, god forbid, had something worse happened, you would never have been able to come to terms with it...sort of like having a big fight with someone and losing them before getting to reconcile.
But, in the end, what were your other options? Give up disciplining your child? Catering to the madness? You did the right thing...its just the randomness of life.
I am so glad that he is OK.
Oy. My heart.
I'm impressed you knew what to do. I'm cringing at the idea that I might not have.
that is toally scary..and there is nothing to beat yourself up about.. kids..picky eater kids.it's life.
XO
You will never forget but there is nothing to forgive. Thank God you had your wits about you and jumped into action like that. My stomach is in knots just thinking about it...
Oh good god. Good god.
This is why I am so scared to ever look away. Do you know how many times this could have happened to any of us?
There is nothing to forgive, m'dear. Nothing at all.
I'm just so relieved you were looking. I'm so relieved you're both OK.
The gut instinct of mothers never ceases to amaze me..well done you. He is a handsome young man you have there.
i'm so happy that i'm not just a cyberland friend of yours, but a real life one too. you make me proud.
Good grief! I'm so glad this post had a happy ending.
Sweet Lord! Thankfully you were able to react in the moment and save him. You always wonder if when the time comes, you will react appropriately. You did! If it were Lukas, I might not ever let go of him after such a scare.
Wow. Thankfully you knew what to do. Having one of my kids choke is one of my biggest fear. Count your blessings today, huh?
Oh honey. I'm so sorry - that must have freaked the crap out of you and him both. Bless you for knowing the Hymlic (yeah, I can't spell) Maneuver, and for reminding us all to learn how to do it, too.
I'm very VERY glad you guys are okay. Kisses and hugs for you both.
You're a hero honey. You didn't do anything wrong - you did everything exactly right.
Oh my God.
You did exactly right. I hope I would have the my head together enough to do the same.
That is one f--ing scary story.
Oh my good gosh. So glad he is OK. I hope you will be, too. But you did it. You acted. You did your job exactly as you should have.
Well done.
And love to you.
You should only feel the need to forgive yourself if you actually made him finish the (regurgitated) spinach nugget. Otherwise, I think you're OK.
What I want to know is how MD manages to play golf the day after returning from vacation...
I'm so glad he's okay.
Ease up on yourself, mama. You did just fine.
Shit happens. You saved his life Jen.
Love to your family. : )
So very terrifying. Things can happen in a second. I had the same kind of moment with my daughter not too long ago. But with her it was electricity and a wet shirt.
Thankfully he is okay. Hugs
All these were so tense! I had my throat in my mouth the whole time!
yes, all it takes is one second, one moment, one turn of the back and everything that used to seem so familiar will go topple down... I nearly lost 2 of my boys twice before...I can feel your tension, your can-i-really-forgive-myself and can-i-really-forget-this....
I'm still not through with the can-i-really-forget-this part yet...but I hope you will...eventually...
OMG...I was so scared for you! Thank goodness he's OK. Well done Mom:)
Damn, you are quite the Super Mom. So glad he is okay.
My god, that must have been scary. You must have held him closer last night than in a long time.
Oh wow! Amazing that you kept your head together!
Manager Mom - I've been a silent reader of your fantastic blog for a few months now. Congratulations on doing exactly the right thing - you are a rock star! Because of this posting and two other friends with a similar experiences this summer I have asked and my big fat Fortune 500 company has agreed to do a Heimlich Class for all of us this fall. You just never know when those skills are going to come in handy. Good for you!
Oh, my god! I got tears in my eyes reading this! You acted so exactly right, and quickly. How indescribably scary for you. Bless his little heart, and YOURS for being such a great Mommy!
MM, I guess this makes you a hero of sorts ... glad he's okay.
"Yesterday, something as ordinary as one spinach nugget almost changed my life forever."
There's probably a really good lesson buried somewhere in there.
To everyone:
Thank you SO much for all of your kind words and well wishes.
When I first wrote about NuggetGate, I wasn't intending to post it, just to try to deal with the situation in my own head.
I don't know why I wound up putting it out there, but I'm glad I did, because all of your emails and comments have helped me feel a hell of a lot better.
And The Boy is fine. Not even ten minutes later, he said, "Can I have my butter toast, now, Mommy?" And as he ate happily, I sat frozen in terror with every bite he took.
I'm at the point now where I can watch him eat without hyperventilating, so that's progress...
And to anonymous: Thanks for your kind words also, and ROCK ON for having your company do that for you. I'd write you directly but you're anonymous and stuff. So I hope the seminar goes well, but I hope even more that you never need it.
And in the future, feel free to email me... don't be shy, I don't bite.
Geez, how horrible. It's the stuff I have nightmares about.
Glad everyone is okay.
I'm glad this all turned out well.
I hope if (and when) something similar happens to me, I can react as quickly and competently.
So glad he's all right! I know exactly how scary that is because I've been through it twice with my older daughter. While they were both as scary, the second time is more prominant in my mind because it took place at a Denny's restaurant -- yup, vomit on the table, the booth, myself, our food. I recall there being a moment of silence as the entire restaurant stared when I started saying: "Breath, Amber, breath!" And then mixed reactions when she actually did.
I doubt you'll ever forget your experience, either. You'll also probably never look at spinach nugets the same ever again. The same holds true with me for roast beef, monzarella sticks and Denny's.
I am also terrified to leave them alone while they eat. Anytime they're eating a snack or something somewhere else, away from me, I swear I yell out "Are you guys alright?" every time I hear 20 seconds of silence.
So glad he's okay!!!
I let out a gasp reading this. Not because it hasn't happened before (I was a lifeguard and paramedic in a previous life), but because I'm a mom. And the image . . . the image of my son . . . I can't even imagine.
thank goodness for mom. is it not amazing that you just did what had to be done? No matter what? Wow.
Ridiculously happy for a, well, happy ending.
Oh my god. I'm not even sure what to say except how thankful I am that this story ended the way it did.
My heart was in my throat reading this. Things could have ended so differently had your son not been able to walk over or if you hadn't known what to do. I'm sure this will add another level of dimension to your love of your little man.
It's official; we're never eating spinach nuggets.
Now excuse me while I remind my heart to start beating again...
This exact scenario played out in my house last Monday, except it was a piece of mango, not nugget. My daughter came into the kitchen--pink and turning purple. We managed to get it out. And I didn't sleep for two days afterwards. All I could think was that that god she'd had the presence of mind to come to me for help. Otherwise, she could have choked to death 15 feet away in the living room from me and I never would have known. Motherhood has been a scary place lately. I didn't sign up for this shit.
Oh, big hugs to all of you! How terrifying! But you did the perfect thing, everyone's okay, deep breath... You have nothing to forgive. You're a hero; you saved him. I'm sure you're right that you'll never forget it, though.
Post a Comment