Thursday, May 8, 2008

Exploiting The Rich: Let The Music Play


Spring has finally gotten all sprungly.

I know this to be true because Manager Dad has officially flipped the Cool Weather/Warm Weather switch on his wardrobe, moving from the daily uniform of khaki pants and button-down dress shirts to khaki pants and short-sleeved polo shirts. It’s a whole new wardrobe management ballgame.

Aside from being a symbolic milestone, the switch has the practical effect of shifting five units per week from our local dry cleaner to our home-based Laundry Mountain. This adds up to approximately four extra loads over the course of the summer. While I don’t enjoy the additional labor, this does save about $50 a month on dry cleaning, leaving me all the more to indulge in my fondness for smokes, booze, and cheap hookers.

So while we were talking about saving money, I wanted to share another way I’ve found to entertain your family by taking advantage of the sweat labor of rich folk. (My first post, about the charms of Old Greenwich, can be enjoyed if you have a few extra moments in the bathroom by clicking here.)

The magical land of which I speak today is New Canaan, Connecticut (estimated median home value=$2,000,000). A town which is clearly not afraid to embrace the letter "a," New Canaan has a lively downtown business district filled with stores selling things we can’t afford to buy and restaurants we don’t want to remortgage our homes to eat in.

It’s also one of those metaphor towns that instantly evokes a social stereotype. You know what I mean: Detroit = "Disenfranchised Autoworkers." San Francisco = "Pot-smoking hippies." Long Island = "Joey Buttafuoco". For New Canaan, it’s “Self-Loathing Yuppies,” thanks to the only two major movies inspired by and filmed in the area: The Ice Storm and the Stepford Wives remake, starring Nicole “My Pants Are On Fire When I Claim Not To Have Had Cosmetic Procedures” Kidman. Because I’ve seen her in person, and I promise you, that woman has a Botox technician on speed dial.

But back to my point, which is that aside from an abundance of overindulged, plastic, self-pitying suburbanites (note to friends: not YOU, of course, Brooke, Lawrence, Mel, and Tom – I know you guys are still keepin’ it real), New Canaan also has Waveny Park. Waveny is a beautiful, spacious public area with a lovely old mansion. In the summer (starting on June 11th), they hold free concerts on Wednesday nights on the back porch of the house.

While they are technically for residents only, it is easy for unethical non-resident area freeloaders such as myself to horn in on the fun.

The acts are all has-beens (or more accurately, never-wases) and the music itself ranges from forgettable to puzzling. This year’s kickoff band, “The Bob Button Orchestra” bills itself as playing Big Band classics. I can’t confirm or deny this, but my main take-aways from last year’s show were this:

1) the average age of the band members is approximately 72

next) they like to dress like pirates, complete with puffy shirts and red satin sashes
and

c) despite their advanced age (or perhaps because of it) they like to swill Captain Morgans straight from the bottle between songs (possibly explaining the pirate getups).

It’s become a much-anticipated Wednesday summer family tradition for us. We get the kids, pick up a pizza, and relax with friends while enjoying the fresh air and the “music”. After dinner, the kids run around in the field, doing their best to contract Lyme disease by breaking the Guiness Book’s “Most Ticks Acquired Within a 1-Hour Span” world record.

The evening concludes with a visit to Waveny Mansion’s public toilets, (spotless, mind you, featuring abundant toilet paper, soap, AND hand lotion), where I pick off as many of the ticks that I can, bag them up to send to the state testing lab at $25 a pop, and stuff them into their pajamas so we can execute a swift bedtime once we get home.

The one downside of these concerts, aside from the fear of having our car towed, is an uncomfortably surreal feeling caused by looking around at your fellow concertgoers. They all look like they stepped directly out of a Tommy Hilfinger print ad. And the hordes of roving kids evokes a sort of reverse Children of the Corn, except instead of being filthy and creepily homicidal, they're all preternaturally well-mannered with blonde bowl haircuts and slight French accents, picked up from various summer au pairs.

But if you can suspend your class discomfort, come join us on any given Wednesday. We’ll be easy to spot: amidst a sea of natural-wood camp tables, fashionable umbrellas, carefully packed wicker picnic baskets, and Lilly Pulitzer cricket sweaters, you’ll find a tiny oasis anchored by an ancient, stained Mexican blanket, surrounded with a loud plastic cooler and cheap camp chairs with huge corporate logos (free from various work giveaways).

We’ll save you a slice of pizza, and I’ll even ask Bob to pour you a shot of Captain Morgan’s.

You can access the 2008 Waveny Park concert schedule by clicking here.

Digg this

10 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I don't think I'll make it to New Canaan, but I'll think of you when we invade the golf course at Coronado. http://www.coronadochamber.com/about/index.

Snooty as they are in Coronado, their spirit shines through on the Fourth of July when they happily admit riffraff from far and wide to trample the grass in order to view the fireworks. Alas, they do not trust us with the bathrooms, port-a-potties are our lot. Still, a wonderful time is had by all.

Kevin McKeever said...

Our family attended (uh, snuck into) one of the "residents only" July 4 fireworks shows at the park a few years ago. I can't recall whether I said it or if it was the wife but I believe the quote said was: "I feel severely lower class. How about you?"

Scott Forbes said...

My #1 contention with the town of New Canaan is the Indian restaurant Thali.

Used to go there frequently, but as of late, I must avoid it. They're "keepin it real" by inflating their prices to ridiculous (trendy) proportions. Well, it was fun while it lasted. The indoor waterfall thingy will be missed.

RE: Coronado: I'll hopefully be at the skatepark by the bridge as soon as tomorrow.

ConverseMomma said...

Let's just say that when I went away to college, everyone wanted to know if I was best friends with Amy Fisher. Yup, that's where I come from. Ugh!

Manager Mom said...

Well, conversemomma, if it makes you feel any better, I was born in New Jersey.

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

Cheap hookers and pirates.

That is one hell of a combination.

Anonymous said...

The thought of the ticks alone would keep me away.

However, perhaps if spectators brought along their own Captain Morgan's we could keep the ticks at bay? That and certainly get picked up for being non-residents!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

It's always a good day when there's extra cash for the cheap hookers.

JCK said...

Now see, if you didn't have that minivan, how would you cart all that stuff- the mexican blanket, cheap chairs, your own flask (I'm assuming you have one)and the kids. Plus, have money left over that you didn't spend at the New Canaan restaurants to buy more booze?

I actually confess to loving my minivan. It was the image of driving a minivan that I had to swallow. But, after about oh...1 time of experiencing the ease of getting two babies under one into their car seats and warming my buttocks on the seat warmer...I was hooked. Not to be confused with hookers.

Great blog!You're very funny.

Jeff Herz said...

If you are in New Canaan and want a really fun activity with the kids, I highly recommend Art and Soul (http://www.visitartandsoul.com), a paint your own pottery studio and beading bar, located right in the center of town across the street from town hall.

I never have as much fun as when I am there with the family.