My birthday weekend is over, and I'm sad to see it go. I had such a good time using "But it's my birthday!" as an excuse to avoid all of the things that I didn't feel like doing, from the trivial (fetching the newspapers from the end of the driveway) to the disgusting (doing the final assists on The Boy's butt-wiping) to the obvious (did not cook a shred of food the entire weekend.)
I meant to post these on Saturday, but I was busy lying on the couch. For those of you who enjoyed the first eight years, behold the terrible power of my adolescence, with its parade of overthought hair and questionable fashions:








I would like to point out that my mother showed all of these to Manager Dad after he proposed to me. And he STILL went through with the wedding.
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Manager Mom's Gallery Of Shame, Part 2
Streams of Consciousness:
I really WAS one of the ugliest kids on the planet
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
80 comments:
Thank you for boosting my self esteem.
You have done your good deed for the day.
OMG - Parallel lives!
I'm turning 38 in two months; did the velour thing in '79 (in navy, mmmm); had the flicky mullet in '84; and was targetting people with my braces elastics in '87.
And man, the big hair in '88. Only mine was blonde and teased up at the front. Spectacular.
Happy Birthday - Thanks for the solidarity :)
Wow. Now that's transition! Fab, sista! I wouldn't dare set up my own age nine to eighteen slideshow! It would be way too scary!
Omigod, omigod, omigod-- the ribbon barettes in your hair. Oh, how I loved those crazy things. I remember taking gymnastics-- we were The TumbleBees-- I had yellow and black ribbon barettes!
I was real hot for Kristy McNichol once. I think that's what she joined the other team. Wonder I still have that copy of "Dynomite" magazine with her on the cover.
I had those barrettes in a WIDE assortment of colors. Rockin'.
Wow - I just saw my sister's life flash before my eyes (she turned 38 in April). She totally rocked it, too!
There is a certain amount of attitude in the 16 year old picture. But the 17 year old is lovely and much friendlier looking. And the little girl pictures are charming. But of all of them, I love the 10 year old picture best. You were, and are, gorgeous. My typically male enthusiasm for large RACKS notwithstanding, it's a pity women who are not 'well endowed' are made to think that they are somehow deficient - somehow .. less attractive, when in fact, it is not true, at all.
First of all Jen, Happy Belated Birthday! Please forgive my tardiness. I hope your birthday was fantastic! Nowthen -
At 13, you SERIOUSLY had the Kristy McNichol thing going on! You weren't America's (cloned) sweetheart?
(At 16) I'm a total sucker for smoldering bitch appeal. Did you have a "I'm a heartbreaker, you must be stupid" tee shirt? (not to be confused with the popular "I'm WITH Stupid"
And I'm SERIOUSLY looking forward to Pt. 3 - The MILF Years. : )
Who didn't rock the Kristy McNichol back in the day?
Oh the ribbon barrettes, the mullet, the 16 year old attitude. We have lived the same life. My 38th birthday was in May. Thanks for sharing, you have inspired me, I may have to borrow this idea. I will totally give you credit, promise!
FORENZA! Ha ha ha!
Although I never had braces, I remember being struck by those rubber bands on occasion.
You should keep that 16-year old picture in your pocket. When someone irritates you, you can pull it out and say, "Don't make me get her out."
I just love this. Thanks I needed a lift this morning.
HAHA I like the bitchy pic.
Amazing. I have a school picture somewhere (sophomore year of high school, I think?) that was SO terrible, so HORRIFICALLY ugly, than my friends still talk about it 16+ years later. "Remember that one? Oh, man, that was AWFUL. You looked SO BAD." Yes. Yes, I know. Thank you very much.
Oh my God, I had forgotten about those barrettes! I had them in my school colors. Oh you took me back with that photo.
You were definitely bitchy looking at 16 - the picture reminds me a little bit of Jennifer Grey in Ferris Bueller.
Oh my gosh!!those barretts.....I made them in every combinatin of colors for my sisters!! Wow...this whole post was just one big really bad 'blast from the past'!! Thank God everyone else was looking as goofy/geeky/bitchy/suntanny/veloury!!
Glad you had a good do-nothing kind of weekend!
My mom still thinks the female mullet was a good look. She gets so frustrated because she canNOT for the life of her find a stylist that will give her a female mullet in this day and age. I keep telling her to try Fantastic Sam's, but does she listen to me?
sorry no sympathy here. i think you looked very good by the final photo.
Okay I linked to these posts today. And my fun pictures will be coming up this week. Thanks for the inspiration.
Hey, at seventeen you looked pretty hot!
You look like such a sweet child. Even if you were bitchy at 16, it looks like you were over it by 17. I had those handmade barettes and the twisty beads too. Forgot all about them.
You look like such a sweet child. Even if you were bitchy at 16, it looks like you were over it by 17. I had those handmade barettes and the twisty beads too. Forgot all about them.
14 year old me would like one of your 13 year old Kristy McNichol pics for her wallet. Can I call you Buddy?
If your hair needed it's own zip code, mine needed it's own state. Didn't you love the '80s? You were a dead ringer for Kristy. How cool is that? Happy belated birthday.
Forenza...now there's a blast from the past!
And can I just say how much I enjoyed the mullet picture :)
Ahh.. mullets. I moved to South Dakota in the 80's and every teenager, male and female, had a mullet. I was lucky enough to be too old for the trend.
I won't say how old I was in 1984, but I loved me some twist-a-beads. And I had barretts like the ones in the first picture, too.
You are a brave one to post all those photos! I would never post a photo of my long hair and Keep-on-Truckin leather visor...not that I had those things...
You are so brave! Those were great. Happy Birthday!
Oooo, I feel you sister..
I had those barrets and the forenza sweater and the braces..but my hair was FLAT..FLAT FLAT.. :-)
PS..I LOVED/LOVE/STALKED Kristy McNichol
I love the second-to-last photo. The bitchy one? That's freaking awesome. I'm still laughing!
Oh Gawd, deliver us from our past! :)
You rock. Especially because your perm wasn't as high as mine! Gah, the awkward memories...
WOW! It was like looking at pics of my self, only you're cuter. I was 38 in March so i went through those fashion faux paus right along with you girlfriend....
I love you in ways that may actually be unholy. My mom MADE my velour shirt. Funny thing is, it wasn't so much velour as it was terry cloth. Oh yes, I rocked a terry cloth shirt with sleeves that were so loose at the cuff that, by the end of the day, the drug down to my knees. I'm pretty sure it was that and not my hideous hair and retainer that made me look like I had a cherry Jolly Rancher stuck behind my front teeth that kept the boys at bay.
In my seventh grade picture, I look like I'm preparing to come off that tiny stool they perch you on and cut the photographer if he tells me to smile one more time. So pretty. Oh, and my bra strap may have been twisted and sticking out of my shirt, too. I believe they call that "sexy".
What the? not because they shouldn't be saved but that you still can put your hands on them? wow. impressed.
also, the last pic? good god, you beautiful girl: time matters and is good.
thank you for reminding me of that. (i don't have the literal pics but they are kinds seared in my brain...)
It's so nice to meet you...first time to your blog. Apparently we had the same hairdresser when you were thirteen? Rockin' hair, makes me want to look back at my pics...but then I'd go blind, and that would be "not good" so I'll just enjoy yours. Great, amazing, awesome post. Thanks for the laugh.
It's so nice to meet you...first time to your blog. Apparently we had the same hairdresser when you were thirteen? Rockin' hair, makes me want to look back at my pics...but then I'd go blind, and that would be "not good" so I'll just enjoy yours. Great, amazing, awesome post. Thanks for the laugh.
I've been a lurker but am now a first time poster. Hilarious! I feel better about my dark years (high school) now that I've seen your photos. I bet my hair was bigger than your hair!!! Nice to meet a fellow working mom who's trying to balance-it-all-dammit. Thanks for the great post...I laughed out loud and longed for the 80's again. (well, not really).
I don't know which I photo I relate to more: The barrettes or the tan...
I'm still cracking up over the Maypole hair (how long did you fiddle with it in front of a mirror so the ribbons would show?) and the "Channeling Kristi McNichol" -- too funny.
You ended up with a beautiful smile. And your hair - sometimes it looks brown, sometimes red. Call me green.
Signed,
Never, ever anything but dark brown
I meant to leave you a comment on Facebook, because your commentary on these cracked me up!
It would take some work for me to assemble all of my school photos in sequence, but I found a few over the weekend. Let's just say, things looked better after I learned to tweeze, and grew out my hair.
Velour! The barrettes! (The bangs...) It's all coming back...
God, were the 80's UGLY. I am soooooooo feeling your pain with those pics. Trust me, mine are just as bad.
Did I miss it?????Crapola!!!
Happy B- day you fab young thing!!!
Love the velour.
HILARious! and fun for all. All those "fads" seem like a good idea at the time. I love the "walking through the forest and someone snapped your picture" comment. And didn't all teenage girls have a bitchy looking time period, one time or another? What a fun way to skip through the years. It's the "now I meet Manager Dad" years that would prove truly interesting. (I triple dog dare you)
I could make you some more of those totally awesome barrettes if you'd like...so sad I remember how.
Did you spray some Sun-In in your hair to go with your Suntastics? (I know I did)
I think the only thing 80's I can handle now is the music (because it was like, totally rad*!*)
He went through with the wedding because he could see you getting better and better. I can imagine how gorgeous you are now.
You're very, very brave! Seriously, why do we think we look so good at the time? I have even worse pictures bc I had big ole' glasses to go w/ my awful hair and braces!
So we shared a Fug Friday post and now we ALMOST shared a birthday. I knew I liked you.... Hope Sunday was lovely. Almost as lovely as your photos. ;)
I'm glad to know ya.
Happy Belated Birthday!
I totally had those barrettes. Ick!
And your 12 year old outfit -- I had something painfully similar. And I wore blue eyeliner for most of my teen years. Fun fun!
You, lovely lady, have something in my Wednesday post.
I totally had that same Forenza blue sweater. The Limited was my Mecca.
Happy Birthday ( a little late).
"Welcome to Geekville. Population: 1" Oh man that was way too funny. Thanks for the laughs. Awesome post. Oh, and happy birthday. If I didn´t want to reveal my identity on my blog I would totally copy your idea.
My hair was SO much more aqua-netted than yours. I'm probably responsible for global warming with all the aerosol I used.
My mother is having a cleanout and has told me I am getting all of my childhood photos... you think yours are bad? We don't do 'professional' pics here in Oz so 90% of the pics I either have my eyes closed or my mouth open... nice.
And I still think you are hawt.
These are awesome! Brings back a lot of memories. Love the Forenza sweater too. What about Esprit? Or Jordache?
Matt's secret confession. About two months ago I bought a Jelly Swatch Watch on ebay with 5 or the original guards. I wear it and twist them together. Its dope.
Haha... great pics! They weren't all horrible. They certainly got better as you got older. I think most of the problems with the pics were the clothes and hair cut/styles. Unfortunantly I'm a decade younger, so I can't really relate with all the styles you were rocking. Thank you for reminding me why I don't ever attempt to make my children's clothes!
Oh ... happy belated b-day!
Those are some hot pictures! I would have totally been into you back in the day. By the way, it was my birthday weekend too. 12th for me. Happy birthday!
I'm hoping that velour makes a comeback!! It's so velvety soft against your skin!! You looked adorable with your barrettes!!
Juicy Couture is over-rated!!
Hugs!!
I heart the barrettes. I think I have a picture like that about ten years later. Ugh.
You defintiely had the "Tiffani" look down at 16. Did you ever work the mall circuit?
Gack, velour. I used to pre-open my Christmas gifts and then re-wrap so i could practice my thank-you's & think of something nice to say (yes, i was just that neurotic). Anyhoo, one year i took a sneak peek at my gram's gift to me which usually rocked the casbah. It was a 2 piece baby blue velour suit all the way from Pompano Beach. My heart sank as I wracked my brain to think of something kind without lying. I settled on "ooohh, baby blue, and so soft!".
You TOTALLY CRACK ME UP!
I love all of the photos!
I wish I could find all of mine.
They'd tell a similar story even though I'm a bit older than you are!
I miss those baretts (sp?) with the streamers.
Brave, brave girl, you are. I almost spit my coffee out ... you are too funny!
My personal fave - Kristy McNichol - she's EXACTLY who I thought of when I saw the photo. Uncanny :)
Happy Belated ... and remember, there are always people older and geekier than you (I'm just sayin...)
Oh my....I can't even bear looking through my mom's box o' pictures. I'm turning 30 this month, so I had the horrible 80's fashions trends combined with a 10 year old's complete lack of sense. I shudder just remembering. The hairspray...the keds...the jelly bracelets...the giant red glasses. FUG!
Awesome pic! Suck it juicy, LOL.
I remember those barrettes! At the time, they were the epitomy of cool. Don't worry, you were totally styling! I hope you had a good birthday. Thanks for sharing the pics. :)
Ohhhh- I just luved those barrettes! Luved em!
Your photos really make me smile because we are from the same era and it is all too familiar.
Happy be-lated Birthday!!
Aaaaahahahahahahha...the twist beads! I haven't thought about those things in YEARS, dude. I used to steal my moms all.the.time.
I've been wanting to do a similar post for months now, but most of my old pictures are in a box in the attic. And my scared butt doesn't go up there(too high). I did find a couple the other day though and had a good time laughing at what a complete dork I am. I mean was.
Am.
The ribbons are classic.
Happy Birthday!
Look at you, you cutie! You look just the same! Also, I had those same ribbon barrettes, but my velour was PINK baby.
I could have given you a run for your money on velor tops!!!!
Happy belated Birthday! I had pleather pants in the 70's. I guess they matched our pleather couch.
I love pics of bad hair. I did a week long series of my bad hairdo's, it was a lot of fun.
I wouldnt dare post a picture of me at that age - I believe at 9 I had on a sweatshirt with a big "?". Dont know what it stood for, but I loved it.
In case you missed it
|
|
V
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Post a Comment