Friday, August 1, 2008

It's No San Francisco

Last night, the Fairfield County Blog & Grog Society (founding member: Always Home And Uncool) had our second meetup. It was like a miniature BlogHer, except with mosquitos, nachos, and men. The other difference? No swag. We couldn't even get free drinks from the bartender, who remained unmoved by the huge lies about the mighty weight of our combined blogpower.

We had people ranging from a twentyish hip-hop writer to a fortyesque government chemist to an internet philosopher to a guy with anger management issues. We had not just ONE, but TWO real authors, and Sarah brought an advance copy of her upcoming book for us all to stroke and oohh and aahh over.

Connecticut Mom's Family Financials (who is ridiculously cute in real life) drove TWO hours to come, while the split personalities of Fancy Pancakes and Stamford Talk were chauffeured by their husband, who got sick of all of the shop talk and took off, leaving them to take the train home with Station Stops. Luckily, Fairfield County Child lives just a short stumble away.

We missed The FTF (who gave some lame excuse about celebrating his anniversary) and This Is Not Going To Help, who appears to be trapped in a cave somewhere in the Ozarks.

We even had a reporter from the local paper covering the event, which was great until I came down with a slight case of the drunks and gave her a detailed list of all of the things I'm not supposed to blog about. Then I started trying to convince Beth (who is now my new favorite person because of our shared love of Zalman King erotica) that she should host a Vibrator Night at the spa that she owns until she very nicely pointed out that the LAST THING she needed to do was associate a legitimate spa with porn, since there are already enough perverts in this world trying to get massage therapists to give them a happy ending.

But aside from that, the event was a smash, and we have decided to make this a regular thing. On the third Thursday of every month, you can find all of us at Monster B's in Stamford, Connecticut. If you're ever in the area, please, come on by.

Maybe you can help us get that cheap bastard owner to FINALLY cough up some free drinks.

Digg this

30 comments:

unmitigated me said...

Trying to figure out exactly WHAT the Kevin-Monkey is holding onto in that picture.

Unknown said...

Truly a good times and I'd love to do it again if you have another one of these.

Unknown said...

And I'm not that angry. Am I? LOL!!!

bruisedmuse said...

Hey, Manager Mom, TWO wanted even MORE oohing! and ahhing! on being a REAL AUTHOR. And by the way I'm happy to be called TWO, especially when you provide a link, I've been called a lot worse than TWO in my life, and you COULD have identified me as a fifty something with narcissistic tendencies, but you don't know me well enough to do that. And you got drunk after I left? And I missed it? Figures. But seriously, what fun! I loved meeting you all, and I loved the way the train goes by at Monster B's, and I even loved running into an old friend, Ray Redness, who showed up with his guitar to play in the bar. All in all, it was quite an experience for someone who isn't allowed out very often.
And by the way, I agree with Beth (owner of Atheria spa), my very long time friend, that porn and legit massage don't go together, but I thank her for alerting me to the presence of such a lively group, and inviting me. I shall return. And by the way, we can have Vibrator Night at my house. My husband will be thrilled!

Gina said...

A slight case of the drunks? Sounds like a great evening.

Kevin McKeever said...

Middle Age: I'm fondling StationStops new Apple G3 phone. Sexy, yes.

As for the rest of you lot, a lesson: Five pints of Young's Double Chocolate Stout makes one's stomach quite uncool come morning. Beyond that, I just wanted to take you all home with me last night. I've got shrubs in need of trimming. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Wait! Where was the Youngs Double Chocolate Stout?! Alcohol and Chocolate are two of my favorite things.

And the rest of you rank high amongst the other faves. It was just what the Doctor ordered for my de-columnized ass.

Anonymous said...

oh sweet Jesus! You're a nut case (and I love you).

~Anonymous Spa Junkie...(but not so anonymous after this!)

Alice said...

Ooooo...me wanna come one day!

Give me MapQuest and at least a year. Will be there!

James (SeattleDad) said...

That is a cool idea. Always good to have more reasons to drink grog! I might just start my own local franchise. Are you selling the rights?

CT Mom said...

Thanks for the compliment - my hubby thinks I'm pretty cute, too!

I had a great time - I'll have to miss the August meet-up as we'll be on vacation but I'll definitely be there in September. Hopefully it will be still be warm enough to sit on the deck.

Adam Bernard said...

I look like I'm ready to fling my poo at a passerby in that picture. I love it!

Stamford Talk said...

Sarah, Always Home and Uncool let me try his Young's Double Chocolate Stout- I'm sure he would have let you, too. It was good.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast.

You Missed Your Calling said...

Hi, there,I'm a blogger and I live in Stamford -- maybe I'll you guys one of these Thursdays!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Bloggy love--there's nothing like it!

Stamford Talk said...

Dora, what is your contact info? I do not see it on your blog. Email me if you want- my address is on my blog in the right hand column.

Manager Mom said...

Hey Dora,

You're totally welcome to join! Like ST said, send us your email address (mine is lambira@gmail.com) and I'll put you on the evite.

Anonymous said...

what a great idea.

we should try it in slc...

Unknown said...

Manager mom you are so kind in calling me a forthyesque government chemist! I am really fifty something, but it was a blast -sorry I had to leave so soon and I may not make the next one due to some serious medical issues that are being taken care of, but I will be back!

Anonymous said...

Did Ricardo smash a table at your meeting or something?! He's a good friend and I've never known him to have "anger management issues"!

John D. said...

1. This post holds the record for number of links in a single post -

2. RE: "...until I came down with a slight case of the drunks"

Did they show you xeroxing your ass on TV? -

3. I would PAY $50 dol...alright, $1,000, to be a spectator at Vibrator Night -

4. The Connecticut Connection is invited to Nashville (see Buddha for details). : )

MarĂ­a said...

I soooo am coming next year.

Candy Yum Yum said...

Oh man! I would've loved to have been there. I'm always up for drunken tomfoolery! Count me in next time. Here's my email: candyyumyummail@yahoo.com

Ann said...

A "slight case of the drunks" - love that. A slight case of the drunks on vibrator night would be priceless.

Manager Mom said...

OK patti, I added you to the evite.

Anonymous said...

Article in the paper was cool and as a result, I've discovered quite a few interesting things to read that I probably would not have otherwise.

But, I gotta say it, "What is the fascination with or expectation of free drinks?" I've seen several people cry and moan about how the owners at Monster B's are "too cheap" to give you guys free drinks.

If they aren't comping you a couple, it tells me that YOU guys aren't tipping them hard enough.

Beyond that, have more class than to complain that someone isn't giving you something that cost them money for free.

OK. I'm done and now I feel better. Keep up the (otherwise) good work.

Mental P Mama said...

Wait. What? I wanna come to this!!!

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Sorry I missed out on the fun! For sure next time!

And I am double sorry given the hot factor of Adam Bernard. Um, is he looking to be an Adorable Boyfriend?!!

Jeff Herz said...

ITs pretty amazing, that this group has gotten so much press. It is quite sad considering I was unable to get to these events myself and get some free PR, especially since I have been blogging since 1975 (when I was 6)